Are you interested in starting a cannabis business in Mississippi? The cannabis consultants at New Leaf can help you navigate the process!
This summary of Mississippi requirements and license application process outlines what it takes to win a marijuana business license. Get started today to meet the demands of consumers! Schedule a free consultation with one of our knowledgeable cannabis consultants in Mississippi.
Mississippi Cannabis Consulting & License Application Writing Experts
New Leaf Cannabis Consulting is the #1 Top Rated Cannabis Application Writing, Consulting, and Capital Fundraising one-stop-shop in the U.S. We offer a complete range of services from business model formation and planning, to state licensure, to raising capital and finding investors for the business.
New Leaf has worked with over 180 clients in over 16 different states since we opened our doors in 2015. Our success rate is well over 95% across the board. We offer more services than any of our competition.
If you need cash for your cannabis startup, and/or state and municipal license approval for a completely reasonable price, look no further than New Leaf Cannabis Consulting.
Cannabis Market Condition Overview
Business Climate and Timeline
- November 2020 — 74% of Mississippi voters approved a bill legalizing medical marijuana.
- May 2021 — MS State Supreme Court overturned the measure in a 6-3 ruling on procedural grounds nullifying that victory based on a legal technicality.
- February 2022 — Mississippi Governor, Tate Reeves, signed SB 2095 also known as the Mississippi Medical Cannabis Act. The Mississippi Department of Health is to oversee the medical cannabis program (MMCP) while The Mississippi Department of Revenue will oversee the licensing of medical Mississippi cannabis dispensaries.
- June 2022 — Per SB 20995, the licensing of medical cannabis facilities is set to begin in June 2022.
Real Estate & Zoning
In most states, you will need to lock down the location for business operations in the form of either a lease, lease with option to purchase, or a purchase agreement.
Most importantly, during the real estate acquisition process, your company MUST make sure that the actual location COMPLETELY adheres to state and municipal regulations regarding distance restrictions from other businesses such as a daycare or school. An example of this would be Dispensary/Retail. Most times you will not be able to locate your dispensary in a section of the city which is not zoned specifically for retail. Your dispensary location cannot be located anywhere else. Check with the The Mississippi Department of Revenue website for locality resolutions and ordinances.
Usually the next step is Municipal/City/Township Approval. Nine times out of ten, these steps will need to take place before the full license application can be completed and submitted.
Laws and Regulations
As you get started, read up on Mississippi’s laws, rules, and regulations. The Mississippi Department of Revenue has been tasked with licensing, regulating, and enforcing the law for medical cannabis dispensaries. The Alcoholic Beverage Control Enforcement Division of the Mississippi Department of Revenue will be the point division within the Department for licensing and regulating dispensaries. It will also be responsible for enforcing medical cannabis laws.
The Mississippi Department of Health will oversee the medical cannabis program and will handle the licensing, regulating and enforcement of laws relating to:
- Patient’s cards
- Medical Practitioners
- Cannabis Cultivation Facilities
- Cannabis Processing Facilities
- Cannabis Testing Facilities
- Cannabis Waste Disposal Entities
- Cannabis Transportation Entities